Mehoopany Township, Wyoming County, Pennsylvania. 1844 was the year that Mehoopany Township was formed from Windham Township. A petition issued on 3 May 1844 was confirmed on 4 October 1844. The first pioneer settler in Mehoopany Township is Amos York, who is believed to have...Read More
The FWM Volunteer Fire Company formed about 50 years ago and serves Mehoopany, Forkston, North Branch and part of Windham Townships. Many descendants of charter members continue to serve the community as Firefighters today. Current Officers of the FWM Volunteer Fire Company...Read More
Sponsor: The Mehoopany Wind Farm is owned 100 percent and will be operated by BP Wind Energy. Site Location: Approximately a 9,000-acre site in Wyoming County some 20 miles northwest of Scranton (in Noxen, Forkston, Mehoopany and Eaton townships), Pennsylvania. The Project: The...Read More
Mehoopany Township, Wyoming County, Pennsylvania.
1844 was the year that Mehoopany Township was formed from Windham Township. A petition issued on 3 May 1844 was confirmed on 4 October 1844.
The first pioneer settler in Mehoopany Township is Amos York, who is believed to have arrived in 1775 and built a log house and enclosed a considerable tract of land opposite and above the mouth of Meshoppen Creek.
For more information, see “Wyoming County Sesquicentennial 1842-1992 A Look Back” [copyright 1992, Wyoming County Sesquicentennial Committee, Printed by Mulligan Printing, Tunkhannock PA]
The name “Mehoopany” is an Indian word meaning ‘place of beads’. In 1792 a famous Circuit Rider wrote about crossing the ferry at Mehoopany. During the 19th Century the village flourished as a lumber center, with logs coming down the creeks from the surrounding mountains. Later the railroad shipped wood, farm products, and huckleberries to city markets. The grist mill, the former Kintner Milling Company active from 1842 until 1981, is one of the oldest structures still standing in Mehoopany. It is now owned and utilized by the FWM Volunteer Fire Company.
[1976 Mehoopany Township commemorative plate]
The 2010 United States census reported that Mehoopany Township was home to 892 souls. Mehoopany Township has a total area of 17.9 square miles. The township has a total of 36.13 state and local road miles of which 18.72 road miles are maintained by the Township Road Crew.
Public water and sewer serve the more populated areas of the Township. The US Post Office is located on Pearl Road.
The Mehoopany Creek, Little Mehoopany Creek and Susquehanna River all flow waters through the Township.